Bill de Garis
21-Time NATC class champion, world traveler, adventurer and author.... here is more about "Billy d" from his Amazon books page:
- Bill (Billy d) de Garis was born in England, grew up in New Zealand and spent several years travelling around the world. First on a 250cc Jawa motorbike from Sydney, Australia through India, Afghanistan and Iran to England; then an epic journey in an old Morris Isis shooting-brake (running mostly on bald tyres salvaged from rubbish dumps around London) together with two New Zealand friends on their honeymoon. The journey started in London, went across the Sahara desert and darkest Africa and ended up in Kenya.
- He now lives in Port Moody, a city-suburb of Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada.
- He has been writing short stories and poetry since the late 1960's.
- He is better known as an off-road motorcycle competitor in East Africa (seven times Kenya motorcycle champion) but also raced on tarseal-in India and Sri Lanka he won several roadraces including the Air India Grand Prix in Bombay (now Mumbai).
- He is also the first person to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro (19,340ft) on a motorbike (250cc CZ).
- He now competes on a Gas Gas Trials motorbike in the US National Trials Championship.
Learn more about "Billy d" by listening to his interview on the Trials Australia Podcast.